Steven is a dispute resolution lawyer with specialist experience in building and construction, property (including strata and community titles), and environmental planning matters. He frequently appears as an advocate in the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal and the Courts and prides himself in delivering favourable and cost-effective outcomes for his clients.
Prior to joining Makinson d'Apice, Steven worked at mid-tier and specialist boutique practices in their building and construction, strata, and environmental planning teams.
He has experience acting for a diverse range of clients including Councils, builders, developers, sub-contractors, owners corporations and lot owners in both advisory and contentious matters.
Steven has a background in architecture and applies his training to legal problem-solving. He adopts a tailored approach to legal issues and gives practical and commercial advice to his clients to resolve disputes in the most timely and cost effective manner possible.
- Complex advice to builders, developers and owners corporations and property owners on building defect claims, contract review, and a range of commercial/residential claims.
- Represented lot owners and owners corporations in claims under the Strata Schemes Management Act 2015 including claims for repair and maintenance of common property, loss of rent, applications for compulsory management, breaches of by-laws and unauthorised works.
- Construction disputes including complex residential and commercial defect claims, and applications under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 1999.
- Property disputes including easements, leases, by-laws, dividing fences, building encroachments and strata disputes.
- Planning disputes including appeals of development applications, Council orders, compulsory acquisition of land and tree disputes.
- Commercial litigation including debt recovery.