Madaline is a specialist in dispute resolution, predominantly dealing with employment and industrial related matters.
Prior to joining Makinson d’Apice, Madaline was employed in the Office of the General Counsel, NSW Police Force. In that role, she regularly advised upon unfair dismissal and broader disciplinary matters, medical retirements, discrimination claims, and requests for information. She also managed a number of complex projects with multiple stakeholders, resulting in changes to internal government policies and processes, more specifically in the misconduct investigation and handling space.
Madaline has appeared as an advocate in the Industrial Relations Commission, and has conducted and managed complex litigation in that jurisdiction, as well as the Supreme Court of NSW, the Court of Appeal, the Coroner’s Court, the District Court and the High Court of Australia.
- Employment and industrial disputes, including unfair dismissals, demotions, transfers, suspensions, medical retirements, promotions and recruitment.
- Advice regarding workplace injury management (both psychological and physical), and relevant WHS and risk management considerations.
- Defending against discrimination claims made by current and former employees (both litigated and non-litigated).
- Organisational policy reviews and updates, and the provision of advice regarding implementation.
- Judicial review and administrative applications in the Supreme Court of NSW.
- Advice regarding operation of whistle blower protections.
- Responding to SafeWork requests for information.
- Advising upon proposed or already introduced legislative amendments and the resulting operational and legal impacts, as well as providing responses to the Department of Premier and Cabinet in relation to draft Bills.
- Judicial inquiries and coronial inquests.
- Delivery of training to employees regarding workplace discrimination and harassment, and the protection and proper handling of private and health information.